Corsican Highlights – Gorges, Mountains, Sandy Beaches & Coastal Capes
This walking holiday starts in Corte, once the island’s capital located in the wild and mountainous region in the center of Corsica. This is a great walking location to discover the lush forests, deep valleys and gorges, high peaks, hidden lakes and traditional lifestyle surrounding the town. Your trip ends in Calvi in the west where you will enjoy the amazing views from the winding walking paths over the town and along this beautiful stretch of coast.
Difficulty: a good fitness level is recommended to tackle the ascents and descents on this holiday with between 3 and 5 hours walking time per stage. All walks are optional.
You will be staying in 4 star hotels in great locations and your luggage will be transferred for you between stages.
- DAY 1 – Arrival at Bastia airport and private transfer to your hotel in Corte located in the centre of the island (transfer time approx 1 1/2 hours). Your 4 star accommodation is located by the clear rolling waters of the Restonica River with easy access to the town’s restaurants, shops and cafes. Check-in & overnight.
- DAY 2 – Your walk starts with a discovery of Corte. The old town is built on a hill that rises sharply from the river plain below. On top of the hill is a cliff sided rock and the medieval citadel. Built in 1420 and until recently barracks for the Foreign Legion, it is now an interesting museum and tourist office. From here, the views of the Tavignano and Restinica emerging from their respective gorges are breathtaking. The walk will continue along the Tavignano river – there’s some great spots for swimming so bring a towel – the clear mountain water is fresh but will be a welcome respite. Overnight in your 4 star hotel in Corte. Walking time approx 4 hours – 12km – elevation +450m; -450m
- DAY 3 – After breakfast you will be transferred to the Bergeries de Grotelle – a shepherd’s hut at 1 375m altitude – the starting point for today’s hike. The route takes you through the Corsican pine forests, grazing planes and on to the lakes of Melo and Capitello. There’s another shepherd’s hut on route that sells its own cheeses during the summer months – a welcome lunch stop but make sure you bring your own baguette from one of the boulangeries in Corte. The loop returns to Grotelle where you can enjoy a platter of local charcuterie. Overnight in your 4 star hotel in Corte. Walking time approx 4 hours – 4.5km – elevation +600m; -600m
- DAY 4 – This day’s adventure starts with a train journey from Corte to Calvi. The line meanders from village to village, through the granite mountains, pine forests and valleys offering amazing views of the countryside, villages and traditional townscapes stretching from the heart of the island to the western coast. Calvi is a bustling sea port with fine beaches and amazing scenery. It has the typical feel of a smart Mediterranean resort with many bars, bistros and delicious restaurants. Its busy port and marina is overlooked by the impressive citadel. Check-in & overnight in your 4 star hotel in Calvi.
- DAY 5 – After breakfast you’ll make your way to the citadel and the Columbus monument (to commemorate the explorer’s birthplace). From there you will continue southbound along the coastal path with beautiful views overlooking Calvi and on to the peninsula and the Revellata Lighthouse. There are some gorgeous little bays, alcoves and secluded beaches to enjoy on route so make sure to pack a towel if you fancy a dip. You can either retrace your steps along the shoreline or take a more elevated route back to Calvi. Overnight in your 4 star hotel in Calvi. Walking time approx 3 1/2 hours – 14km – elevation +430m; -430m
- DAY 6 – Today’s stage will take you inland, through the Corsican maquis – the island’s evergreen shrubland and native wilderness that has remained unchanged for centuries & unique to this part of the Mediterranean. You will reach the Notre Dame de la Serra chapel from where you will enjoy a panoramic view of the whole bay of Calvi and the Reginu valley – legend has it that if you share the moment with your loved one it will lead to happy years ahead. You have the choice of 2 routes – either head back to Calvi or continue up the trail to Capu di a Veta mountain top. Overnight in your 4 star hotel in Calvi. Walking time approx 2-4 hours depending on routes – 5km – elevation +180m; -180m // Optional route to Capu di a Veta mountain top: walking time approx 5 1/4 hours – 11km – elevation +700; -700m
- DAY 7 – Private transfer from the hotel to Bastia airport for your return flight to the UK
Self-guided walking holidays in France & Corsica
Prices from £2010pp
- Travel by air from the UK to Bastia (depending on schedules – other routes are available on request)
- 1 piece of hold luggage per person
- Private transfer on arrival & departure
- Private transfer on day 3
- Train ticket from Corte to Calvi in standard class
- 6 nights accommodation based on 2 people sharing
- Breakfast every morning
- Transfer of luggage between stages (1 piece of luggage per person)
- Detailed route maps and guides
- The service of a local representative
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Transfers not mentioned in itinerary
- Meals and drinks unless otherwise stated in the itinerary
- Admissions to attractions and sites unless otherwise stated in the itinerary
- Personal & travel insurances
You also might like these holidays
To find out more or plan your trip, call us today
+ 44 (0) 1737 452000
Be the first to receive our latest offers
Roll up, Roll up! Sign up now for our news, views and reviews as well as our latest deals and offers.